Friday, March 11, 2011

quakezone

I had planned on posting a fashion related post this weekend, but I think this one takes precedence.

This morning I checked in on the news and visions of tsunamis and destroyed buildings flooded my television screen. (No pun intended) I remember that the news said it was the 6th worst earthquake in recorded history, at about 6.2 magnitude. Hawaii just started getting the tsunami waves when I left for school and warning were called for California and Oregon. I can't believe it- it seems everything is going awry.

I remember when I had my first earthquake experience about a year ago in the summer. It was the tiniest aftershock in the world from an earthquake in California but it still scared me to death. I felt the ground move underneath me, swaying slowly from side to side. For a second I thought I was just getting dizzy but I knew something wasn't right. Luckily, that was just the extent of the aftershock but it was still terrifying and I was paranoid all week. The blood drained from my face the second it happened because I never experienced anything like it in Arizona.

I can't even imagine what it's like to be in Japan as I watch footage of the tsunami floods on CNN. It's like a wall of water demolishing absolutely everything in its path! And all we can do is watch helplessly as homes are swallowed in an instant, killing innocent people. Nuclear powerplants reported radioactive leaks because they couldn't cool their reactors, and fires broke out at oil refineries as people are stranded in their flooded homes from Japan's strongest earthquake.

I'm sure there's more to come. Today's been a draining day for citizens all over the world, so what I'm going to do today is pray for those affected by this earthquake and keep them in my thoughts, I hope you do the same. And as always, thank you for allowing me to inform you on an event that is happening closer to us than we think. ♥

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/12/japan-earthquake-live-blog-death-toll-rises-amid-widespread-destruction/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog! Leave a comment below and we can be best friends :)