Saturday, December 31, 2011

To Soyoung, 2012-2013

To the wonderful readers- I do this every year, and have every year's post on either my blog or myspace (yeah, it's an old tradition). I write a letter to myself for the future year and I just think it's a fun way to keep a record of things. :)

To the future Soyoung in 2012-2013:


Live it up because you're dying in a year! I kid, I kid, hopefully you won't ever believe that cray Mayan nonsense. I don't know where I heard it, but someone said "I don't know why everyone thinks that the world is going to end in their lifetime. Honestly, we aren't that important so get over it." True. Dat. Why must we put ourselves on a pedestal? As much as I'd like fame and fortune and to make a mark in history, we have to realize that life is infinite. We're just a microscopic blip on the timeline of life itself. That's a long time, y'know?


Didn't mean to make it so depressing, but it kinda makes you refocus, and figure out what purpose your life will lead. And that, my dear self, is to bring happiness to others, or at least make another person's life that much easier. Help others. I've said this for years and that ain't changing. I realized I can be stubborn as hell but that's not something I need to fix right away :) Don't be afraid to stand your ground, especially for others. Especially for family.


Also, can I say that I'm proud of you? Me? Whatever... But you said to have an "unwavering sense of self" and let's please keep that, okay? Yeah, you're socially oblivious and awkward in every absolute way, but hey, that's who I am. It's part of my charm or whateva. A lot of things have happened this year and my maturity was tested. College! You started college and SURVIVED the first semester! At ASU! Dear Lord that is a feat in and of itself. Don't be conceited. Remember we don't deserve anything at all. That oreo after you studied 4 hours? You don't deserve it. You can have it, sure, but let's not get carried away. Stay humble, and kind. Also, don't care so much about what others think about you, as much of a pet peeve as it is to you. They don't know you. So many things have happened, it'd take too long to write down, but if I were to sum this whole year down to one thing:


The key to happiness really is an unwavering sense of self. Don't forget to thank your family for their love, strangers for their kindness, and God for the blessings you didn't deserve but still somehow got. 

Good luck, you can do this.
-SOY.

2 comments:

  1. Heya! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog, and happy new year!

    I think it's really cool that you do this every year. I'll bet it's really interesting to go back and read old ones and compare, and see what's changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog! That's crazy that you were born in Corvallis- small world!

    I love this letter, it's a great idea. I'm you newest follower! Happy New Year! :)

    --Amanda
    http://anthropomorphity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog! Leave a comment below and we can be best friends :)