Monday, June 8, 2009

This summer.



Has actually been substantial.


It's only been a few weeks, and with two weeks of college classes, and I'm beat. Like eggs.

But it's been rejuvenating. You know what changed my summer? A book. Really.

I had just discovered out library's glorious holding service, and looked at amazon's popular books section, and picked from the list what was available from the library.

One of the books that topped the charts was a book called The Power of Now by Dr. Eckhart Tolle. When I went to the library I got a handful of other books: The Eater's Manifesto, Pride & Prejudice, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.





I started with the Manifesto, and it was interesting, I have to say, but not gripping enough to keep me reading the whole book. I read a good half, and the author spends time analyzing society and out diet, and how they correlate to one another. I started eating healthier after that.

Pride and Prejudice, I honestly, and ashamedly, have to admit without the movie and Sparknotes, I could not have understood it completely. I need visual aids! I need summaries! Can you blame me, with the dated context? But really, once you get the gist of it, it is hopelessly romantic. That reminds me of another book I just read, but we must get to the good stuff!


The Power of Now has helped me discover what's real in living. It's hard to describe without getting all Confucius Sage-y on you, but it's really an uplifting, deep book. I've always had a hard time getting in touch with my spiritual self, like my soul, but this book has helped me in more ways than one. The mind is a tool, and in almost all humans, the mind has overtaken the body, determining its every move, judging, with negativity. We are almost always in some sort of state of unhappiness. Do you ever have those moments where your brain feels like it's on pause, where no thoughts are present, it's just... quiet? It's nice, isn't it? When I had them, I was actually scared because I thought I was so dumb that I was literally thinking of nothing. (True story.) This book has let me keep in touch with who I am, and what I can be, and to treat everyone like they are made- beautifully.

I could go on for hours on this.

In My Mind and Heart:
  • SuperForest Blog
  • How lucky I am
  • Reinvention
  • Spreading good 'karma'
  • Pretty words
  • Books
  • Quiet Time
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • Focus
  • Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog! Leave a comment below and we can be best friends :)