Tuesday, September 27, 2011

to be grateful.



One thing I've been working on lately is figuring out what it means to be grateful, and how to live through it. 

As silly as it sounds, I wake up and go to sleep, grateful that I've been given another day to live. Another day to make a difference, and another day to experience the constantly changing and endlessly unique opportunities that are shown before us. It's probably the simplest and most overlooked thing. Of course we'll live another day, and yes, the day will probably suck depending on what you're doing, but this isn't the right mentality.

You know what I'm grateful for? I'm grateful because I realize that I will never be in a position to judge someone else. I've learned this a little later in life, but it's okay because I think as a child, you can afford to be cynical and a little jaded. But to live as an adult with the idea that you're living the best way possible and that all others are wrong, corrupt, and/or stupid is completely immature and irresponsible. 

I didn't mean to get so preachy all of a sudden but the thought struck me, and I've been pondering this for days. But we all have to learn to accept, not tolerate, but fully accept everyone in this world. We are not perfect. We are all finding the best way to live. Some of us deny it, some of us accept it later in life, and that's okay. It's not our problem to denounce these people of their faults. If anything, we are here to help them and be completely compassionate, as much as we can. Basically, judgmental people are starting to irk me something fierce. Don't be that person who puts themselves so high on a pedestal that they can't see the world below. 


Oh. And I'm grateful for my mom's homemade peach cobbler. 'Tis legit.

-SOY.

2 comments:

  1. That was lovely to read and really refreshing! I know that over the summer I learnt the lesson about judging!
    It is hard not to judge though - It's human nature, but it's the conscious decision you make to stop that makes you special - I really admire you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Rosanna, but it was a lesson I should have learned a while ago, and the whole judgment thing- I totally get you. It's SO hard sometimes and it's a lifelong process but it's so nice once you release all of that negativity!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog! Leave a comment below and we can be best friends :)